Adding a new BSP

Gedare Bloom gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu
Tue Apr 19 15:31:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Joel Sherrill
<joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
> On 04/19/2011 05:09 AM, first name wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am developing a BSP for an in house PowerPC board and I can't understand
>> how to add its name to the list of BSPs so that when I run the configure
>> script I
>> can put --enable-rtemsbsp=MyBSPName.
>
> If you are on 4.10 or newer, the MyBSPName is detected automatically based
> upon the set of files with a name like this:
>
> libbsp/powerpc/MyBSPFamilyName/make/custom/MyBSPName.cfg
>
> You can build multiple variants of a single BSP and that makes
> a BSP directory represent a family.  The ".cfg" file is the specific
> name of the BSP you can build.
>>
>> Please can someone explain what to do or point me in the direction of the
>> relevant document?
>
> There is a BSP and Device Driver Guide in the document set.

The guide is probably your best resource at this stage:
http://rtems.org/onlinedocs/doc-current/share/rtems/html/bsp_howto/index.html

> The general approach is to find a BSP that is close and either make your
> custom board a variation of that.  If your board is close then you add a
> make/custom file and then account for the differences via a combination
> of configure time selection and conditional compilation.
>
> If your board is not close enough to be a variation, then you make a new
> BSP family directory and populate it.   Start by copying from BSPs that
> are similar.

If you add a new BSP directory, you need to modify the arch build
files (in this case, in libbsp/powerpc) to make your new directory get
built, including the configure.ac, Makefile.am, and acinclude.m4
files. You also may need to add some target-specific support in
libcpu/power for your target. You shouldn't have to change anything in
cpukit/score/cpu/powerpc, but that is the third place that most of the
architecture-specific features are. cpukit should be generic to an
architecture, libcpu should be generic to a cpu family, and libbsp
should use as much shared code as possible and extend with the
board-specific features of your target.