rtems_bsdnet_do_dhcp_failsafe problems

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Tue Aug 2 14:23:22 UTC 2011

This isn't working for me, at least on PowerPC mpc55xx with smc91111.

1. The ifflags variables being passed down to rtems_bsdnet_ifconfig() are int, not int16_t or short, and so they aren't being set properly.  This results in "dhcpc_failsafe: no suitable interface" since the loopback and point-to-point bits wind up being set in my situation.

2. Once I fix that it finds the interface, however, the carrier LED on the switch never comes on and it times out looking for an address:

SMC91111 : driver has been attached
starting dhcp on interface smc0
starting dhcp client...
BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255
BOOTP call failed -- Connection timed out
Setting static address for interface smc0.

3. However, if I use regular-old rtems_bsdnet_do_dhcp() the LED on the switch comes on and the board gets an address (not sure about that default route error, it's working OK for my purposes, though):

SMC91111 : driver has been attached
dhcpc: smc: inet: 192.168.240.46  mask: 255.255.255.0
             srv: 192.168.240.1     gw: 0.0.0.0
nfs_boot: del default route, error=3
Device: /dev/pty0../dev/pty7 (8)pseudo-terminals registered.
telnetd started with stacksize = 8192 and priority = 100

I think it must be something different between rtems_bsdnet_do_dhcp() and rtems_bsdnet_do_dhcp_timeout().  Does anyone know what happens that turns on the switch light and what the problem might be?

Peter