NDS BSP broken

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Aug 17 07:38:18 UTC 2011

On 08/16/2011 09:48 PM, Julien Delange wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I previously sent a patch for the NDS BSP. The patch seems to be well
> integrated, that is really nice since it means that the BSP will be
> supported. So, I checked out the CVS and try to get the board working.
> Unfortunately, if everything compiles fine, everything is broken. It
> appears the linker script changed a lot and I think the issue would
> come from here.
>
> Also, I give a try with the EABI toolchain but the result is still the
> same and the BSP still crash. On the other hand, I checked my patch
> and rebuilt RTEMS 4.10 with it to make sure it works and there is no
> problem at all.

The difference between the legacy and EABI tool chain is primary the code
generation of the compiler.

> Would it be possible to keep the previous linker script since the new
> one put a mess and breaks the support for that BSP ? Or would it be
> possible to have a summary of the changes and what would cause such
> troubles ?

The summary of changes is in the ChangeLog:

http://www.rtems.org/cvsweb/cvsweb.cgi/rtems/c/src/lib/libbsp/arm/nds/ChangeLog?rev=1.66

The problematic commit is probably this:

2010-12-03	Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>

	* startup/bspgetworkarea.c: Removed file.
	* Makefile.am, bsp_specs, start/start.S, startup/bspstart.c,
	libnds/include/nds/jtypes.h, libnds/source/arm9/gurumeditation.c,
	libnds/source/common/interruptDispatcher.S,
	libnds/source/common/interrupts.c, startup/linkcmds: Use linker
	command base file.

I would prefer if we can use the linker command base file since this reduces
the amount of copy and paste in the BSPs dramatically.  Please check that the
memory map and section layout is correct.  Also check that the workspace and
heap areas are correct.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6