EL6 RPMs for Fedora 14 Issue

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Dec 22 09:43:57 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 04:25 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 12/21/2011 07:58 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:

>>> I already mentioned it 2 times before:
>>>
>>> http://www.rtems.org/pipermail/rtems-users/2011-December/009263.html
>>>
>>> http://www.rtems.org/pipermail/rtems-devel/2011-December/000067.html
>>>
>>> In brief: You are facing the ugliness of python's versionitis.
>>>
>>> The only short time workaround I am currently aware about is to switch
>>> to using the CentOS5 packages instead of the CentOS6 packages on Fedora
>>> 14 (edit /etc/yum.repos.d/rtems-4.11.repo to point to the CentOS5
>>> packages instead of the CentOS6 packages).
>>>
>>> So far, I don't understand why this works (but also haven't
>>> investigated),

The CentOS6 rtems*gdb packages are dynamically linked against python2.6.

The fedora-14 rtems*gdb packages were dynamically linked against
python2.7, those of later Fedoras are dynamically linked against more
recent versions of python.

=> CentOS6's and the Fedoras' pythons are in are incompatible

As Fedora doesn't ship python2.6 backward-compatibility packages,
installing the CentOS6-built gdb-packages on Fedora 14 or later fails.

The CentOS5 rtems*gdb packages are statically linked against python2.4.
Disgusting as this is in general, this is the reason why they install
without any complaint on Fedora 14.

>>> in particular because CentOS5's python is even older than
>>> the already version in CentOS6.
>>>
>>> The only clean solution is upgrade to Fedora>= 15 or a different
>>> distro. Fedora 14 is dead.
>> That's the plan but not in the next few days.
>
> Then you will want to try what I wrote above (edit
> /etc/yum.repos.d/rtems-4.11.repo) and check if this helps.

For now, I've redirected the fedora-14 legacy links inside of the repos
to CentOS5. This should prevent future cases like the one you are
currently facing.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way to automate helping you out of
your problems. You will have to manually edit
/etc/yum.repos.d/rtems-4.11.repo to let your yum configuration point to
the centos 5 repositories.

All in all, in longer terms, I fear the only applicable approach is to
stop providing legacy packages and to cut off discontinued distros the
hard way.

Ralf