Problem building tools for 4.10 on F12 system

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Wed Feb 9 22:27:20 UTC 2011

I'm building the tools using a 4.10.0 CVS fetch and the files in ftp://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/SOURCES/4.10 on an up-to-date Fedora 12 system.  I'm basing this on the web page http://wiki.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/Building_Tool_RPM_Packages as well as notes I kept when I last did this last April.  This is to build a multilib with SPE support, I haven't gotten that far yet, I'm just trying to reproduce what's shipped.

The problem is that GMP doesn't configure properly without a bit of magic I don't understand.

The first sign that there was going to be a problem was when I went to "rpmbuild" gcc:
====
rpmbuild -ba rtems-4.10-powerpc-rtems4.10-gcc.spec --target=1686-pc-linux-gnu
Building target platforms: 1686-pc-linux-gnu
Building for target 1686-pc-linux-gnu
sh: line 0: fg: no job control
error: File /opt/rtems/src/SOURCES/gmp-4.3.2.tar.bz2: No such file or directory
====

1. I don't know where that "no job control" message is coming from.  Running "sh" by itself doesn't give that warning.  I can't find "fg" in any of my .rc files (I use bash).
2. Why do I need to download gmp if it wasn't on the RTEMS FTP site?  Is that something that's missing?  Is F12 too old?

I downloaded gmp-4.3.2.tar.bz2 and put it where rpmbuild wanted it, and I got an error when gmp was configured (I left it out, but the "fg" message was still there):
=====
Configuring in ./gmp
configure: creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... none-pc-linux-gnu
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for flex... flex
checking lex output file root... configure: error: cannot find output from flex; giving up
make[1]: *** [configure-gmp] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/rtems/src/BUILD/rtems-4.10-powerpc-rtems4.10-gcc-4.4.5/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2
error: Bad exit status from /tmp/rtems/rpm-tmp.cn7Ybg (%build)

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /tmp/rtems/rpm-tmp.cn7Ybg (%build)
=====

Now the weird part: to see if I could get more info I ran "sh /tmp/rtemsrpm-tmp.cn7Ybg" and not only didn't I get the "fg" warning, but it went ahead and configured and built GMP, and it's well into building everything, it's been running for 45 minutes now.  I had done the "rpmbuild" several times already, so directly using "sh" is definitely a clue.

I unset most of my environment variables before starting the build.

Any ideas?

Peter