RFC: Dropping i386/soft-float and 386ex BSPs

Tue Feb 15 14:34:11 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am wondering if the time has come to drop support for
x86 w/o HW FPU (e.g. multilibs with software floating
point.  I do not know of any CPUs currently available
which match this profile.  If there are any x86
w/o HW FPU available, please correct me.

Periodically gcc breaks for this because no one else even
builds this variation except RTEMS. This alone is not
justification but it is a serious hint this configuration is
WAY past its prime.

 From a practical viewpoint, this would likely involve:

+ dropping the i386ex and ts386ex BSPs
+ dropping i386/soft-float multilib variant
+ maybe dropping i486/soft-float
+ probably moving minimum CPU assumption to 486
   in GCC for i386-rtems gcc.

Any thoughts?  Anyone care about i386DX w/o FPU,
i386ex, and 486sx?