Why object's name is so short?

Mon Jan 24 17:30:07 UTC 2011

On 01/24/2011 10:57 AM, Mozzhuhin Andrei wrote:
> Hi
>
> RTEMS uses the object ID (rtems_id) for management of any objects.
> Additionally, each object has a name that is used mainly for display to
> the human. They both have a size of 4 bytes.
>
> Why object's name (intended for the human) is so short?

Because the specifications RTEID and ORKID which
RTEMS was originally based upon required this.  pSOS+
and VMEExec were also based upon this standard.
I recall that Nucleus is from the same API vein.

Wendell is right.  It does reduce memory and string
error chances.  You can use rtems_build_name()
which takes 4 characters to have some readability.