RTEMS downloadable image size

S Akhtar crystaldoll85 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 03:51:16 UTC 2011

Hello all

I am using RTEMS 4.10 for my i386ex custom board. Host operating System is
ubuntu 11.04

I have configured my RTEMS as

--target=i386-rtems4.10 --prefix=/opt/rtems-4.10 --disable-itron
--disable-posix --disable-networking --disable-multiprocessing
--enable-rtemsbsp="i386ex"

By this configuration, i get sample application "hello world" executable of
size 1.02 MB

      text          data          bss        dec        filename
   118665       3908          7794     1fd3f       hello.exe

By converting it into downloadable hex file

i386-rtems4.10-objcopy -O ihex hello.exe hello.hex

packhex <hello.hex >rtemshello.hex

The final downloadable image is rtemshello

     text          data          bss        dec            filename
        0         122573         0         122573       rtemshello.hex

The file size of rtemshello.hex is 246KB, whereas the available ROM in my
board is 128K, is there any way i can reduce this size upto 128K so that i
can download it into ROM?

Thank you for your time

Regards