Increase RAM_SIZE to be used

Thu Jul 21 17:16:24 UTC 2011

On 07/21/2011 12:06 PM, Julien Delange wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am currently using RTEMS 4.8 to build a new system that has a lot of
> functions. It is executed on a LEON2 platform.
>   At that time, the compiled size of the binary is more than 8Mb. When
> I try to load it on the target, I got the following error from RTEMS :
>
> bspstart: Not enough RAM!!!

This means your text, data, bss and configured RTEMS
objects don't fit into RAM.

Do a "sparc-rtems4.8-size" on the .exe?  How large
are the sections?

How many of what objects are you configuring?

Any configure parameters like CONFIGURE_EXTRA_TASK_STACKS
or CONFIGURE_MEMORY_OVERHEAD?
> So, I investigated and went through the sources of RTEMS and find out
> that it might be related by the configuration table of the BSP but for
> that BSP, the values taken for the RAM and other memory related
> resources are deduced from the linked script. So, I tried to change
> the RAM_SIZE of the linkcmds file included in RTEMS. Unfortunately, I
> still have the same error even when if I specify 16M as RAM_SIZE in
> the linkcmds file.

No.  Configuration table is part of your application.  It is
not owned by the BSP.

The BSP is only responsible for allocating RAM past the
BSS to the C program heap and RTEMS.  In this case,
it just doesn't fit.
> So, I would like to know if somebody already tried to change the RAM
> size of the BSP, especially for the LEON target. Anyway, is there
> another solution/hook that might be used to get rid of this error and
> use all the available RAM on the target ?

If done correctly in the linkcmds, you should be able to
override RAM_SIZE in the linker arguments when linking
the application.  Something like -DRAM_SIZE=number