EDF Pluggable Scheduler

Petr Benes benesp16 at fel.cvut.cz
Thu Mar 31 10:59:25 UTC 2011

Dear Mr. Bloom,

I am applying to you for an advice regarding RTEMS scheduling.

I am currently working on my master thesis at CTU Prague dealing with
porting a resource reservation framework (www.frescor.org) onto RTEMS. I
need to ensure a temporal independence/isolation of separate tasks and
for this we are to use an EDF scheduler with an incorporated CBS
(Constant Bandwidth Server).

As far as I am concerned, you work on some EDF or you have it done. I
assume it is a pluggable one, since there is the feature in RTEMS 4.11
already implemented.

I have just finished a quickie implementation of a pluggable EDF on my
own (git at rtime.felk.cvut.cz:/rtems-pluggable-edf) having Martin Molnar's
one as an example. I guess you know each other (he is also from CTU).

The question I have is whether you happen to have some solution or at
least an idea how to handle Deadline interchange and you are willing to
share the experience. There is nothing reasonable proposed in the thesis
by Martin Molnar
(https://dip.felk.cvut.cz/browse/pdfcache/molnam1_2006dipl.pdf). So far,
for sake of simplicity, I was thinking about some kind of hack making
use of the current RAPs used by priority scheduling.

Best regards

Bc. Petr Beneš
mail  : benesp16 at fel.cvut.cz
web   : www.petben.net