NULL call to _Workspace_Free() via _Objects_Extend_information at startup

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Tue Mar 1 07:40:46 UTC 2011

On Feb 28, 2011, at 10:57 , Chris Johns wrote:

>> Inappropriate values for addr may corrupt the heap.
>
> I cannot see this. Do you have a use case that shows this ?
No, I'm just quoting the current Doxygen documentation for the function.  It's hard to argue with the statement, though, especially as it says "may".

>> Returns true in case of success, and false otherwise.
>
> I assume calling 'free(NULL)' should result in heap free returning true.
> As stated my patch does not do this.

I see that your patch as implemented does return true by restoring the explicit test.  I think that's the correct thing to do. Any follow-ups about a definition change or levels of checking in _Heap_Free() can go in bug 1747 which Sebastian opened about non-contiguous memory regions.

Peter