Which flavor of Linux for RTEMS S/W developemnt ( was Re: MVME5500 Tester Needed for 4.10)

Wed Mar 16 17:45:45 UTC 2011

On 03/16/2011 12:36 PM, Kate Feng wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote :
>
>> * No rtems-4.11 =>  unsuitable for development.
> Gedare Bloom wrote:
>> 2) Any other distro can suffice for released RTEMS versions,
>> assuming you can build the RTEMS tools.
>
> Can you clarify what "unsuitable" mean, please ?  Does that mean it is
> impossible
> to build RTEMS-4.11 tools and source on Debian or Ubutun 10.04 ? Does
> RTEMS-4.11 require a higher version of  Ubutu ? I know that it
> is impossible to build RTEMS-4-9 on RHEL4 due to S/W incompatibility.
> Ralf posted
> the technical reason a long while ago.  Please note that I am not
> talking about
> "support".

Think deployment.  It is the development head.  It changes.
It may build one day and not the next.

4.10 is a stable point to base work on.

If you are doing work on RTEMS, use 4.11.  if you are doing
work WITH RTEMS, you want 4.10.

That is completely independent of the host OS.

--joel