Resurrecting MVME167

Eric Norum wenorum at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 23 17:46:19 UTC 2011

On Mar 23, 2011, at 10:12 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Well we just saw ticker run on it.  Some default
> settings for the BSP are a bit surprising.  I would
> like to hear from the community before changing
> them.
>
> + Default console is NOT the MBug port.  It is
> the second serial port.  Does this make sense for
> a default?
> + Ditto for printk port.
> + printk support is disabled by default.

This might be a relic of using the serial port to download an S-record image.   Remember this code dates from back in the days when networks weren't ubiquitous.

> + Load address is 0x800000.  Isn't this a bit
> high in memory?  Usually I recall only seeing
> addresses like 0x10000 or 0x20000 to skip
> MBug RAM usage.

Some folks liked to configure the RAM to be at a location other than 0 to catch NULL pointer dereferences.  Apparently the developer of this BSP was one of those folks.

> + Defaults to getting settings from NVRAM
> and ignoring configure overrides.  Since our
> NVRAM was trashed, this didn't help matters.
>
> Any comments on the above?  These just don't
> seem consistent with the other BSPs.
>
> --joel

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"?
	:-)
The definition of "standard operating procedures" has likely changed over the years.

--
Eric Norum
wenorum at lbl.gov