SMP Patches

Gedare Bloom gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu
Tue May 24 15:37:44 UTC 2011

Hi Marta,

This is great! I will try to set aside time to review the PRs and give
some detailed comments.

I do have a few concerns that you might be able to address pre-emptively:
* Naming: score naming convention pattern is _Package_Method so in C++
package::method(), with only the first letter of the Method name to be
capitalized. Some of the new functions being added by these patches do
not follow the naming convention.

* API explosion: It isn't clear to me what the right way to extend the
existing API functions should be. The approach taken so far has been
to implement new functions that are called only when the SMP is
configured, so that uniprocessor RTEMS is unaffected by SMP code. I
glanced at the thread initialization patch (PR 1806) and it adds a new
function that is wrapped by the existing _Thread_Initialize(...),
which adds a function call to the uniprocessor RTEMS. This is
initialization so not a big deal, but a better pattern would be to
separately initialize the SMP-related thread metadata, for example in
cpukit/rtems/src/taskcreate.c:
 status = _Thread_Initialize(...);
 #if defined(RTEMS_SMP)
   status = _SMP_Thread_initialize(...);
 #endif
or something similar.

I will give detailed feedback on each PR when I can get to them.
Thanks,
Gedare