Ada support in current RTEMS versions ?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed May 25 13:18:39 UTC 2011

On 05/25/2011 02:59 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 25 May 2011 13:08, Joel Sherrill<joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com>  wrote:
>> On 05/25/2011 06:37 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>>
>>> On 05/25/2011 01:14 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>
> [snip]

>>> Independently of Ada (The Ada issues basically are the same with both
>>> versions), I'd recommend to use at least RTEMS-4.10 (or even CVS-HEAD)
>>> for new developments, because the rtems-4.9.x series is "in deep freeze".
>>>
>> Definitely agree there.  Don't jump to the head for this unless
>> something forces you to. A couple of cases I know where you
>> would end up on the head are for a new CPU model which is only
>> supported on the head, you might have to use the head.
>> You require a feature which is only supported on the head.
>>
>> Hopefully neither apply.
>
> No, they don't and thanks for the detailed reply. Given Ada's problems
> with gcc at various points over the years, I just wanted to make sure
> there wasn't a new fundamental problem with Ada I wasn't aware of.
The fundamental issue with Ada is building Ada-crosstool chains require
a "sufficiently recent" (usually the same version) native gnat (== gcc
with Ada support).

This works (and likely is the reason why Joel is not seeing this,
because his environment is "recent enough") when you're using a
sufficiently recent host environment.

If you are using an older distribution, building gnat-cross-toolchains
requires you to replace your native GCC as part of building cross-GCC [1]

Ralf

[1] This does not apply to other languages in GCC (Comprising go,
fortran, objc and c++)