maintaining BSP that isnt in an RTEMS production release

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Aug 17 11:49:06 UTC 2012

Hello Jeff,

On 08/10/2012 07:20 PM, Hill, Jeff wrote:

>> can you please remove all
>>
>> #if ( __RTEMS_MAJOR__ > 4 ) || \
>>      ( __RTEMS_MAJOR__ == 4 && __RTEMS_MINOR__ > 10 ) || \
>>      ( __RTEMS_MAJOR__ == 4 && __RTEMS_MINOR__ == 10 && __RTEMS_REVISION__ >= 99 )
>
> Here is how I decided to have a special case for this type of ifdef
> 1) Nios2 isn't included in a production release of RTEMS
> 2) We will soon use RTEMS/Nios2 in a production installation
> 3) Currently I have to continuously back-patch the RTEMS main
> trunk Nios2 patches into the RTEMS 4.10 version and that requires
> some continuing effort. It's much easier to maintain a Nios2
> support code that works on both in RTEMS 4.10 and also the
> main trunk.

I understand your problem and I can imagine that it is a burden to back port
the changes, but I don't see a reason to introduce these version dependencies
into the master branch.  You can cherry-pick or merge the relevant Nios II
commits from the master branch into your RTEMS 4.10 based production branch.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9