How can I get a BSP and start to develop my RTEMS application on Eclipse ? Where is the BSP path ????

João Paulo Scalão Martins joaopaulosm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 19:30:03 UTC 2012

Hello guys,

I am just a new guy working with RTEMS (really new, I started about 2 days
ago). After reading many "getting started" and "how to" guides, I think
that I've made the correct installation of a prebiult RTEMS tools. for i386.

Now, I have a "/opt/rtems-4.11 folder" working on my Ubuntu. And I've
already install the RTEMS Eclipse plug-in too. So, when I tried to start
with the RTEMS application development on Eclipse, I got the error "make
invocation .... returned with error number 2". That is because I cannot set
the right BSP Path on the properties!

I know what a BSP is, but I still have some basic questions: (real basics
questions)

1 - RTEMS is a Operational System, right? But it is special, it is made for
embedded applications. Ok, I know that. I just want to install a RTEMS
instance, which will run a basic application (that I will develop) on a
Advantech Single Board Computer (with a AMD Geode LX 800 CPU). So, what I
got to do is: write my application in the same "code" of the RTEMS source,
build this "executable" file, pass this file to the Single Board Computer
and ... FINISH!
Am I right?

2 - I know that a BSP is the "code" that the RTEMS Operational System will
use to work with the computer peripherals. So what I got to do is: find a
i386 BSP, get it from Internet, write my code inside it, and then I have my
own RTEMS. Is that correct ?

Assuming that the 2 answers are correct, anyone know where is the BSP path
when I install the RTEMS tools ? I have to "build RTEMS" to have a BSP ?

Guys, once again, forgive my lack of knowledge about RTEMS, I am just
starting by now...

Thanks so much!

Regards from Brazil !!

Joao Paulo