MinGW prep of RTEMS 4.10.2

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Feb 27 00:22:45 UTC 2012

On 26/02/12 12:04 PM, Andrei Chichak wrote:
> Okay, I have been trying to get the latest git version of RTEMS to build and it hasn't been going well, so I have dropped back to trying to get 4.10.2 going.
>
> I have grabbed:
>
> the latest version of msys/mingw
> the 4.11 automate/binutils/compilers that have been discussed recently and described on the web page (yes Ralf, I do know that 11 != 10, but I'm trying out the instructions).
> the 4.10.2 RTEMS distribution bz2
>
> I do a:
>
> cd rtems-4.10.2
> ./bootstrap -c
> ./bootstrap
> cd ..
> mkdir build
> cd build
> ../rtems-4.10.2/configure --target=powerpc-rtems4.11 --enable-rtemsbsp=psim --enable-cxx --enable-tests=samples
> make
>
> after a while the make bombs with a popup saying, from cc1, "This application has failed to start because zlib1.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
>
> I visited many web pages and finally found a page ( http://www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite-2.4.0/mingw_how_to.html)  that explained how to compile zlib1.dll for MinGW roughly. But…great news! it seems to have fixed a lot of issues and a couple of BSPs are building.
>
> So, MinGW doesn't ship with zlib1.dll needed by the compilers, but it can be fixed.
>
> Next, try it on the 4.11 head version.

This a MinGW vs Fedora distribution issue. MinGW was not viewed as a
distribution by some. Until the MinGW get tool appeared it was a
collection of files installed by an isolated installer that did not
update or upgrade itself and so this view was valid. As a result others
have created variants of some parts that make up MinGW with different
names. One is Fedora and zlib. The Fedora MinGW package maintainers
decided for their own reasons to build the zlib package with the name
zlib1. They build from base sources rather than include MinGW sources.
As we ship Fedora built MinGW binaries we are suppose to package and
provide the suitable DLL. We currently do not. Maybe we should provide
the file on the ftp site.

The solution is simple. Copy the MinGW zlib.dll to zlib1.dll in the
MinGW bin directory. You could and test I will add a note to the Wiki page.

By the way I do not see because I did this a long time ago and had
forgotten about it.

Chris