ARINC-653 API

Julien Delange julien.delange at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 22:47:16 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 6:44 PM, WL <jolkaczad at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is all valuable stuff, and the topic is getting more interesting
> by the minute. I see that this would somewhat pick up where a last
> year's GSoC project left off. Is the student still active in the
> community? If not ,did he leave his work in a useable state? I'd like
> to contact him since there's no need to do the same research again and
> come to conclusions which have already been arrived at.

Hello,

Please have a look the the links below. Also, the whole project has
several goals :
1. Implement ARINC653 services in RTEMS. If you consider RTEMS only,
you can only design intra-partition services (tasks, intra-partition
comm. , etc ...). This is described in [3].
2. Implement a prototype of a hypervisor to execute several RTEMS
instance in different partitions (see proposal [4]). In that case, the
work consists in (1) design a first prototype to execute RTEMS in
several partition and (2) adapt RTEMS to call the hypervisor services
for inter-partitions interactions. Once that is done, we can also
implement ARINC653 inter-partitions services.

So, implementing full ARINC653 compliance for RTEMS would require to
do both tasks. The second project is more difficult but has more
priority since this would be the fundation for building partitions
using RTEMS. In addition, making the partitioned-bsp of RTEMS would be
really tricky because it has to be as much generic as possible to fit
with other separation kernel approaches (as AIR, XtratuM or POK).

As far as I know, the GSOC 2011 project focuses on the second item of
the work. It was based on AIR but unfortunately, it does not seem
available (you can check on http://air.di.fc.ul.pt/). However, the
report of this work is available as gdoc documents, you have to
request access to it, links to ask are located on page [2]. Also, Joel
may have more information about the status of the 2011 GSOC project
related to this topic.

Hope that helps,

[1] http://wiki.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/RTEMSHyperVisor
[2] http://wiki.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/RTEMSSummerOfCode2011