Build issue

Claus, Ric claus at slac.stanford.edu
Sat May 12 00:41:03 UTC 2012

In developing my BSPs, I am periodically re-confused by my changes not "taking".  This seems to bite me with .h files and not .c files, although I wouldn't claim that it is limited to .h files.  It is not resolved by any number of ./bootstrap -c; ./bootstrap or ./bootstrap -p cycles in the source tree, nor any ../src/configure commands in the build tree.  The only thing I've found to remedy the situation is to blow away the build tree and recreate it, then do the 'configure' and 'make all' steps again.  Copying the affected source files by hand to the build tree also works, but seems somewhat unorthodox.

What is the standard operating procedure for this situation?  Is this considered a bug for which I should submit a PR?

For what it's worth, I'm working with a freshly pulled master copy of the git repository, the BSPs are PowerPC based and my configure step looks like:

../src/configure --target=powerpc-rtems4.11 --enable-posix --enable-networking --enable-rdbg --enable-cxx --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-rtemsbsp="virtex4 virtex5" --prefix=$TARGET_DIR

On another topic, is there any way to limit what bootstrap operates on?  Since it takes quite a while to complete and most of the BSPs are of no interest to me, I would like to avoid bootstrapping them.  In the BSP development cycles, it comes about fairly frequently that Makefile.in is modified, which requires that bootstrap is run again.  Any suggestions for speeding up the cycle would be much appreciated.

	Thanks,
			Ric