BMW (and RTEMS) celebrating first win at Superbike World Championship

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Thu May 17 07:01:53 UTC 2012

Hello,

last sunday BMW Motorrad Motorsport made a double win on the Superbike
World Championship race in Donington/England. In the first race, Marco
Melandri and Leon Haslam made it to the top two positions of the podium.
In the second race, they were ahead of their competitors again until
they colided and slipped off the track in the last corner of the race.

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/5-sbk-news/13229-bmw-celebrate-landmark-wsb-victory.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tD8hPhK_74

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/5-sbk-news/13223-incredible-drama-as-rea-wins-and-other-top-riders-go-out.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUDV6rbxruU

What does it all have to do with RTEMS? Optimizing the engine control
unit behaviour for the race is vital to provide the best performance for
the driver. BMW therefore developed a high speed data logger to collect
more than 2MByte/sec of data for performance analysis. This data logger
is using RTEMS to achive optimum real time behaviour and optimum speed
during data storage and recovery.

So surely RTEMS on its own did not win the race, but contributed its
share to the success story. I think this is something we all can be
proud of.

The next race of the Superbike World championship will take place on 28.
May in Salt Lake City. We are keeping our fingers crossed for the team
to win again.

wkr,

Thomas.

Embedded Brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler           Obere Lagerstr. 30
D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
email: Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Phone: +49-89-18908079-2
Fax:   +49-89-18908079-9