RTEMS-4.10 branch development tools (was Re: Rtems-4.10.2 and RPC on PowerPC)

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Sun Oct 21 05:40:02 UTC 2012

On 10/20/2012 01:20 PM, Kate Feng wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
>      Is the version of development tools for RTEMS-4.10 finalized ?

Formally no, de-facto yes.

The FSF gcc-4.4.x release series is dead upstream, so there will not be
any official FSF updates or bugfixes.

  The RTEMS-gcc/newlib patches are 100% API-locked and effectively
"frozen". They will only see changes to really critical and non-API
breaking bugs.

>  It
> seems that I am not the only one
> who might have problems with the development tools.
Which? I am not aware of any.

>  The code in RTEMS
> 4.10.2 O.S. should function
> properly as well even though  it is a little bit different from the
> patch I applied on RTEMS 4.10.0.
Sorry, I don't know which changes you have applied to your local fork of
RTEMS.

> However, the compiled code proved otherwise.
>
>     IIRC, I used the pre-built development tools for RTEMS 4.10.0. Thus,
> I should not confirm which version
> of tools and patches were applied. When I downloaded RTEMS 4.10.1 and
> RTEMS 4.10.2, there were problems
> with the pre-built one on the Ubutu PC that I had to build the tools
> from the source and used whatever patches
> was posted along with 4.10.1 and 4.10.2.

As I tried to express several times before: I do not support Ubuntu.
It's already extraordingarily difficult for me to continue supporting
the RPM-based Linux distros, but magnitudes more to support Ubuntu.

Feel free to use Ubuntu, but please understand that you're basically on
your own.

>    So far, my patched code for RTEMS4.10.0 works well with the prebuilt
> tool which was released along with
> 4.10.0.  Did anyone succeed with the current 4.10.2 development tools on
> PowerPC ? I haven't updated the
> tools for a while, but Robert might have difficulties with the recent
> one, too. I hope that those information
> helps to move RTEMS-4.10.2 forward.

I regret, but I have no idea what you are referreing to.

Ralf