configuring RTEMS target optimization levels

Hill, Jeff johill at lanl.gov
Wed Sep 12 00:35:36 UTC 2012

Hello All,

Please forgive a nebie question.

Currently I configure the rtems/rtems-bsp target build by
manually setting the following variables. Is this the correct way
to set the optimization level with the gnu build system; I was
unable to find anything in the configure help, but wonder if
the default optimization level shouldn't be configured based
on the cpu architecture?

export CXXFLAGS_FOR_TARGET="-g -O3 -mhw-mul -mhw-div"
export CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET="-g -O3 -mhw-mul -mhw-div"

I know now that the following options are for configuring
the application build, and have nothing to do with
the gnu rtems/rtems-bsp build.

RTEMS_VARIANT=OPTIMIZE
#RTEMS_VARIANT=PROFILE
#RTEMS_VARIANT=DEBUG

Furthermore I think I know now that the <BSP>/make/custom/<BSP>.cfg
file configures the application build based on the above options, but
has no impact whatsoever on the gnu rtems/rtems-bsp build.

Jeff