Debugging with Eclipse

Mohammed Khoory mkhoory at eiast.ae
Wed Feb 6 02:27:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've been having a very strange issue with debugging a simple Hello World
application on Eclipse. I am using Eclipse Galileo (the RTEMS plugin doesn't
like the newer versions from what I can tell). The program compiles and the
debugger starts running fine, but when running, the debugger seems to
basically run for exactly 3000 cycles, and then just stops. Pausing and
continuing in the eclipse debugger makes it go for another 3000 cycles. It's
going to take lot of clicking to get anywhere near the init function.

When not using Eclipse (i.e. using the plain command line gdb) the debugger
runs perfectly fine.

My gdbinit file consists of the following:
tar sim
load

It's basically the same issue someone else described here
http://www.rtems.com/ml/rtems-users/2011/april/msg00080.html

But this was in 2011, and it's been a while now so I was hoping maybe
someone else has encountered this problem and managed to resolve it.

Or perhaps I just shouldn't bother with eclipse? From what I can tell, the
last time anyone's done anything to the plugin code was 3 years ago. I'm
just trying to find a nice GUI IDE to work with, instead of having to rely
on command line tools all the time, especially for debugging. There's DDD
but I'd rather use something that integrates the code with the debugger.

Thanks,
Mohammed Khoory