booting rtems on MVME2432

John Dobbins john.dobbins at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 7 20:59:01 UTC 2013

All,

I am trying to boot rtems on an MVME2432 board.

I am experiencing a problem similar to one which has been reported before

(see http://www.rtems.com/ml/rtems-users/2012/march/msg00237.html )

but for which I haven't seen a solution posted.

The problem is this, the rtems kernel determines my board to be an
unknown motorola board.

RTEMS 4.x/PPC load:
Uncompressing the kernel...
done
Now booting...
Unknown motorola board Please update
libbsp/powerpc/shared/motorola/motorola.c
cpu_type = E0
base_mod = F9
Welcome to rtems-4.10.2(PowerPC/Generic (classic FPU)/mcp750) on Unknown
motorola board

The file

rtems-4.10.2/src/rtems-4.10.2/c/src/lib/libbsp/powerpc/shared/motorola/motorola.c

contains the lines

   {0x0E0, 0xF9, PPC_604,     "MVME 2400",
mvme24xx_intmap,prep_pci_swizzle},

   {0x3E0, 0x00, PPC_750,     "MVME 2400 (PPC 750)",
mvme24xx_intmap,prep_pci_swizzle},

but for my board the reported values are

cput_type  = E0
base_mod   = F9
proc_type  = PPC_750

so I don't match either of the lines for MVME2400 family.

In fact, as far as I know, the MVME2400 was only sold with the PPC_750
cpu so I am a little puzzled by the first line.

I can certainly add a line to motorola.c for my combination of values
but as I am new to this I thought I should ask if I am missing something?

Also does anyone know if my board would use the same interrupt setup and
pci_swizzle as the existing entries?

Is anyone actively using rtems on MVME2432? Did you encounter this
problem? How do you deal with it?

Regards and thanks,

John Dobbins

Cornell University