Network stack

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Thu Feb 7 20:29:30 UTC 2013

Hi Ric,

I'm not familiar with the network stack code, but maybe someone else
will address that part of your question. It should be more-or-less the
FreeBSD network stack. You can browse / preview the work here:
http://git.rtems.org/rtems-libbsd.git/ and there is a bit of a readme
here: http://git.rtems.org/rtems-libbsd.git/tree/libbsd.txt

We hadn't had any real request from a user for a new version yet, so
there was no real effort. Now that you are asking for one, I think we
can make an effort to cut 4.11.0.

There are some blockers for the release right now however. There was
an email on the developer's mailing list last April discussing some:
http://www.rtems.org/pipermail/rtems-devel/2012-April/000539.html

I don't know which blockers have been addressed, but I do know a few
still remain.

One is the ARM tool chain. The general consensus is to replace
arm-rtems with the EABI version as the default and to eliminate the
arm-rtemseabi variants. For whatever reason, this hasn't been done,
but until it does I don't think the release can go forward. This is
especially relevant to you since you are going to do something with
ARM.

Another blocker is that we haven't done a release from the Git
repository yet. So the scripts and checks that we have in place from
our CVS days are outdated and need some tweaking, primarily
Makefile.maint requires an overhaul. No one has stepped up to do this
work yet.

Lastly, we ought to do a significant amount of testing to ensure the
release at a minimum builds for every BSP with the current tool
chains. (Really, this should be done on a rolling basis, but our
processes are not up-to-date with our desires!)

Thanks for asking though. Now we can have serious discussions and
attempts to get a release cut.

-Gedare