Getting started with RTEMS and Ubuntu

Mohammed Khoory mkhoory at eiast.ae
Fri Feb 8 05:38:11 UTC 2013

> On 02/06/2013 01:40 AM, Mohammed Khoory wrote:
> > Hi, I'm a newbie who encountered this problem as well a few weeks ago.
> >
> >> There seem to be files located at
> >> http://www.rtems.org/ftp/pub/rtems/linux/4.11/ubuntu/dists/quantal/
> >> that might work for installing tools for my new Quantal x86_64
> >> development machine.
> >
> > The packages on that list don't install, because certain essential
> > packages are missing from that list (the "common" packages), so don't
> > both
>
> More details, please.
>
> How does your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rtems4.11.list look like?
> Which apt-get commands fail and which error do they issue?

Sorry, I meant to refer to the list of packages found on this page
http://www.rtems.org/ftp/pub/rtems/linux/4.11/ubuntu/pool/rtems4.11/r/

Anyways, I haven't used apt-get. I manually downloaded the .deb files that
were necessary (in my case, it was for the SPARC architecture) from that
page all into one folder, but when I tried to install them, I got missing
dependency errors, all saying that a "common" package is missing, such as
"binutils-common" or "gcc-common" which is clearly missing from the folders
in that page. (can't find gcc-common in this folder for example:
http://www.rtems.org/ftp/pub/rtems/linux/4.11/ubuntu/pool/rtems4.11/r/rtems-
4.11-sparc-rtems4.11-gcc/)

Perhaps I haven't looked enough, but the thing is I couldn't find the
required .deb files.. and so I gave up and went the alien route, which works
fine for me. Keep in mind that I wasn't using apt-get, so maybe if I did I
would've found them.