How are RTEMS applications typically built?

Mohammed Khoory mkhoory at eiast.ae
Thu Jan 31 02:41:17 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm particularly new to RTEMS and real time OS's in general, and so far I
have managed to set up a development environment under Linux Mint, and I've
installed the prebuilt tools and I've used them to build RTEMS for the sis
and leon3 BSPs as well as the example programs. Everything seems to be
working fine so far after following the getting started guide, and I've
understood the key concepts mentioned in the C programmers guide. The next
step I'm trying to figure out is how to set up a build system properly in
order to make my own application, which I'm planning to use the hello world
example as a base.

How are user applications typically built? That is, what build system do you
use and how does one go about configuring it? Are there any guides or
straightforward examples to doing so, because I can't seem to find a lot of
helpful information in the manuals about the details on how RTEMS
applications are compiled/linked/built. I assume most people go for
autotools/automake because that's what the RTEMS source tree uses, but how
practical is it to use another build system such as cmake? I've also seen an
example that uses WAF (located here:
http://git.rtems.org/chrisj/rtl.git/tree) , but I'm not sure if using that
is a good idea despite it looking very easy to use and fairly
straightforward (I would like a second opinion basically).

Thanks,
Mohammed Khoory

PS: I'm also pretty new to mailing lists, so if I'm not following etiquette
properly, please let me know.