How are RTEMS applications typically built?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Jan 31 08:47:06 UTC 2013

Hello Mohammed,

On 01/31/2013 03:41 AM, Mohammed Khoory wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm particularly new to RTEMS and real time OS's in general, and so far I
> have managed to set up a development environment under Linux Mint, and I've
> installed the prebuilt tools and I've used them to build RTEMS for the sis
> and leon3 BSPs as well as the example programs. Everything seems to be
> working fine so far after following the getting started guide, and I've
> understood the key concepts mentioned in the C programmers guide. The next
> step I'm trying to figure out is how to set up a build system properly in
> order to make my own application, which I'm planning to use the hello world
> example as a base.

this is very good.  Are you able to run and debug the examples on the GDB SIS?

> How are user applications typically built? That is, what build system do you
> use and how does one go about configuring it? Are there any guides or
> straightforward examples to doing so, because I can't seem to find a lot of
> helpful information in the manuals about the details on how RTEMS
> applications are compiled/linked/built. I assume most people go for
> autotools/automake because that's what the RTEMS source tree uses, but how
> practical is it to use another build system such as cmake? I've also seen an
> example that uses WAF (located here:
> http://git.rtems.org/chrisj/rtl.git/tree) , but I'm not sure if using that
> is a good idea despite it looking very easy to use and fairly
> straightforward (I would like a second opinion basically).

I think the application build system is highly user specific.  Most users will
choose the build system with that they are familiar.  RTEMS provides support
for a very simple Makefile system used in the examples:

http://git.rtems.org/examples-v2/
http://git.rtems.org/network-demos/

This system is also used by the Eclipse plug-in to deduce the BSP settings for
the compiler, linker, etc.

http://wiki.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/RTEMS_Eclipse_Plug-in

It is a CDT extension (the C/C++ Development Toolkit for Eclipse).  You can
create RTEMS applications with it and don't have to worry about the build
systems since Eclipse will do this for you.

For larger projects I recommend to have a look at WAF.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09