Drop toolchain support for rtems4.8, rtems4.9 and CentOS5?

Joel Sherrill Joel.Sherrill at OARcorp.com
Fri Mar 15 22:46:51 UTC 2013

The crux is the matter is that we host old binaries that will never be updated. That is how it has always been. CentOS 5 has simply reached the point where the pain for Ralf (a volunteer) exceeds what he is willing to put into it for free.

I agree that there are users on old versions. They have not communicated their maintenance requirements to the community and not sponsored any continued maintenance.

Sorry to sound callous but if they place value on CentOS 5 having continued support, it needs to be communicated and be worth the pain. Ralf builds binaries for a wide variety of OSes and distributions. He generally holds on as long as it doesn't cause excessive pain. CentOS 5 has ancient tools and it is difficult to build modern tool versions. Not impossible just work.

--joel

"Oyake, Amalaye (3496)" <amalaye.oyake at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

Dear RTEMS Maintainers ...

with respect to older toolchains, I would check if older Space missions
are using the older builds. I think that ESA is baselined rtems 4.8 or
some variant thereof ... It would be difficult to do some software
maintenance/update on an older spacecraft if the toolchains needed are
gone.

The thing to note is that Legacy Hardware pretty much does one function
well and stays in use for a long long time ...