RFC: Drop toolchain support for rtems4.8, rtems4.9 and CentOS5?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Mar 14 12:34:13 UTC 2013

On 03/14/2013 12:38 PM, Gerald Needell wrote:
> WIll the current versions of these repositories continue to be available or will they disappear?
I am just trying to evaluate possibilities to cut down the work load
building the toolchains has on me and to simplify the rpm.specs.

So far, nothing has been decided ;)

Just to mention one number: I am currently building rpms for 44
OS/rtems-versions combinations - That's close to being unmaintainable.

> We are supporting ongoing projects using rtems4.9 and CentOs5 and will be for many years to come.

Then you'll likely be facing issues in Q1/2014, when CentOS5 will enter
its "maintainance update" phase ;)

 >  We also can use Centos6 for building the rtems4.9 applications, but
we will continue using rtems4.9 for these projects.  We have our
"frozen" development systems preserved and archived, so we don't need
them at rtems.org, but it was nice to know they were available.  Just
curious what dropping support means.
For now, "dropping" to me means:

Removing the corresponding configurations from my build and repository
maintainance scripts and to stop actively working on the corresponding
rpm.specs.

This would mean
* No updated rpms for affected configurations.
* Wrt. rtems-4.8/9: No spec-file bug fixes/updates.
* Wrt. CentOS5: Removing all support for CentOS5 from all rpm.specs and
rebase the rpm.specs on newer rpms' features/conventions.

Whether to remove the yum/rpm-repositories from rtems.org would be a
different and independent matter.

Ralf