Incomplete backtraces

Mohammed Khoory mkhoory at eiast.ae
Fri Nov 15 04:56:59 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is really RTEMS-related, but I've been having an
annoying issue when debugging an RTEMS application with GDB (on real
hardware). Sometimes, when I pause the debugger, or when there is a segfault
or something similar, I notice that the stack trace is missing a few
function calls deep down. I know this is not a stack issue, because I am
able to step out of a function and the system runs stable otherwise. When I
step out of a function, the backtrace sometimes becomes complete again. This
doesn't always happen, it seems to be random and I can't determine what's
causing it.

For example, if Init() calls function1(), which calls function2(), which
calls function3(), and a breakpoint is placed in function3(), then when the
debugger pauses the program the stack trace only shows function3() and
function2(), and nothing under that.

My setup is stock RTEMS 4.10.2, with GDB 7.2 running under MinGW Windows,
compiled for SPARC LEON3. The tools are prebuilt and obtained from the RTEMS
website.

I've been experiencing this issue for a while now, and I've simply worked
around it, but it's starting to get difficult now. I was hoping that someone
else in the mailing list has experienced this as well and knows a way around
it.

Thanks,
Mohammed Khoory