Samples not built in the VM image

David Shifflett shifflett at nps.edu
Tue Aug 12 19:03:39 UTC 2014

On 8/12/14 11:21 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On 8/12/2014 1:03 PM, David Shifflett wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am new to RTEMS.
>> I downloaded the VM image,
>> and ran all the steps to update the OS, etc
>> also pulled the latest from GIT and ran the bootstrap,
>> all with no problems.
> That is good to hear. Last time I tried to cut a VM image it increased
> massively in size. :(
>> Finally I ran the suggested two build_bsp commands.
> Does this have "--enable-tests=samples" on the configure command?

Yes the helper script build_bsp has "--enable-tests=samples"

>> After this I could only find two applications, 1 for sparc and 1 for
>> i386, specifically
>> 'network-demos/netdemo/o-optimize/netdemo.ralf' (and '.exe').
> Those are leftover from a previous unrelated build.
>> Looking at the times on these files suggests they weren't recently
>> built, but included in the VM image.
>>
>> How do I build the other sample applications?
> The examples in examples-v2 can be built using waf or by exporting
> RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH with the appropriate value. It would be
> something like ${prefix}/${target}/${bsp} where those get replaced
> with real values.

You've lost me here.
The VM has no examples-v2.
Is that something I should separately download?

Also, I've never used waf, is that included on the VM image,
or will I need to install it separately?

What about building the code in
b-sis/sparc-rtems4.11/c/sis/testsuites/samples or
b-pc386/i386-rtems4.11/c/pc386/testsuites/samples?

I tried running 'make all' in those directories,
but got 'cannot find -lrtemsbsp'.

When was this library supposed to be created?
I couldn't find it anywhere.
Maybe my bootstrap did have some problems that I didn't see.
What is the best way to verify the environment and tools?

Thanks again for your help,
dave