Samples not built in the VM image

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Tue Aug 12 19:31:34 UTC 2014

On 8/12/2014 2:03 PM, David Shifflett wrote:

> On 8/12/14 11:21 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> On 8/12/2014 1:03 PM, David Shifflett wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am new to RTEMS.
>>> I downloaded the VM image,
>>> and ran all the steps to update the OS, etc
>>> also pulled the latest from GIT and ran the bootstrap,
>>> all with no problems.
>> That is good to hear. Last time I tried to cut a VM image it increased
>> massively in size. :(
>>> Finally I ran the suggested two build_bsp commands.
>> Does this have "--enable-tests=samples" on the configure command?
> Yes the helper script build_bsp has "--enable-tests=samples"
Did the build succeed? Check b-<BSP>/b.log and b-<BSP>/c.log

After the build passes, there should be about a dozen sample .ralf's
>>> After this I could only find two applications, 1 for sparc and 1 for
>>> i386, specifically
>>> 'network-demos/netdemo/o-optimize/netdemo.ralf' (and '.exe').
>> Those are leftover from a previous unrelated build.
>>> Looking at the times on these files suggests they weren't recently
>>> built, but included in the VM image.
>>>
>>> How do I build the other sample applications?
>> The examples in examples-v2 can be built using waf or by exporting
>> RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH with the appropriate value. It would be
>> something like ${prefix}/${target}/${bsp} where those get replaced
>> with real values.
> You've lost me here.
> The VM has no examples-v2.
> Is that something I should separately download?
It is in a separate git repo on git.rtems.org so a git clone is needed
if it isn't on there.
> Also, I've never used waf, is that included on the VM image,
> or will I need to install it separately?
I would just use the make technique

> What about building the code in
> b-sis/sparc-rtems4.11/c/sis/testsuites/samples or
> b-pc386/i386-rtems4.11/c/pc386/testsuites/samples?
>
> I tried running 'make all' in those directories,
> but got 'cannot find -lrtemsbsp'.
>
> When was this library supposed to be created?
> I couldn't find it anywhere.
> Maybe my bootstrap did have some problems that I didn't see.
> What is the best way to verify the environment and tools?
Look at the log files I mentioned above. Something failed.

Is your PATH correct?
> Thanks again for your help,
> dave
>

>>> TIA,