MVME5500 1 Gbit Ethernet no longer works

Thu Jan 16 15:47:35 UTC 2014

On 1/16/2014 8:55 AM, Charlie Strohman wrote:
> I recently bought 2 new MVME5500 boards from Emerson. They have changed
> the chip that supports the 1 Gbit ethernet interface from an Intel
> 82544EI to an Intel 82545GM. As a consequence, the 1 Gbit interface no
> longer works, and the BSP issues the message:
>
>     "i82544EI device ID not found"
>
> Has anyone seen and fixed this? Might it be as simple as accepting the
> PCI Device ID of the new chip? I'm using RTEMS 4.10.2. I looked at the
> newest version and it seems to be the same code. I have not yet probed
> into the hardware to see what ID value is being returned.
>
> The ID of the older 82544EI is 0x1008 (from
> "cpukit/include/rtems/pci.h), which according to the 410 page Software
> Developer's Manual is the default value if the EEPROM is not programmed.
Is there debug code in the driver or pci bus code to print out all the IDs?
It sounds like this is a newer revision of the same NIC and has a
different ID
which the driver doesn't know and thus ignores.

Also it is possible that just adding the ID to the list in the driver is
not enough.
But recognizing the card is the first step. If it doesn't work, the
newest FreeBSD
driver will need to be looked at to see what the new ID implies for
differences.