Debugging broken BSP suggestions?

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Thu Mar 6 17:19:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 5:37 AM, James Fitzsimons
<james.fitzsimons at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get an old bsp working - the mrm332 bsp for a 68332 target. I
> know it's old technology but I have one of these boards and it will be a
> good fit for a project I want to do.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think the mrm332 bsp can every have been in a working
> state, or at least it isn't anymore.

What version of RTEMS is this BSP on?

> I managed to get it kind of working by using the RAM linker script which
> just dumps everything into RAM, of course you can only run your program once
> and then you have to reload because the .data section gets hosed.
>
> I think I'm close to a linker script to run out of ROM, but it seems to be
> failing when it gets to bsp_get_work_area in bootcard.c. All I end up with
> is garbage at the console. I've verified it works up to here by switching on
> one of the onboard LED's just prior to the call to bsp_get_work_area. I've
> also examined the memory (flash and RAM) and it all looks pretty good.
> Moving the LED code to just after the call to bsp_get_work_area doesn't
> work.

The most likely case is that the work area is overlapping with other
memory sections in your linker script. The work area and program heap
need to be well-defined regions that do not overlap with anything
else, otherwise the initialization of those heaps will wipe out
whatever memory they overlap.

> I've gone over my linker script a dozen times. Anyone have any suggestions
> as to how to debug this problem?

Try to find the bounds on the program heap and the work space. See
what the start/end addresses are and whether they are overlapping with
anything else in memory.

Good luck,
Gedare