generall RTEMS questions

Hoefle Marco Marco.Hoefle at nanotronic.ch
Fri Sep 19 09:15:53 UTC 2014

Hello,

we have currently the RTEMS sources from Gaisler in use (as they have
their drivers not in mainline RTEMS, unfortunately).

The Gaisler RTEMS kernel is based on 4.10.

However, a few useful features are only available in 4.11 (JFFS2 File
system for example).

We are thinking on moving to 4.11 but we are wondering if there is a
proper tested stable version available. In 4-10 are tags in 4-11 I did
not find one.

Would you recommend using 4.11 in a production environment?

We use rtems source builder which works fine. However, we still do not
understand why is there such a dependency toolchain - rtems kernel?

Why can't the standard gcc be used to compile the rtems bsp in an
archive and linked to the application afterwards?

Regards,

Marco