generall RTEMS questions

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Sep 26 05:36:20 UTC 2014

Hello Marco,

On 19/09/14 11:15, Hoefle Marco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have currently the RTEMS sources from Gaisler in use (as they have their
> drivers not in mainline RTEMS, unfortunately).
>
> The Gaisler RTEMS kernel is based on 4.10.
>
> However, a few useful features are only available in 4.11 (JFFS2 File system
> for example).
>
> We are thinking on moving to 4.11 but we are wondering if there is a proper
> tested stable version available. In 4-10 are tags in 4-11 I did not find one.
>
> Would you recommend using 4.11 in a production environment?

RTEMS 4.11 is work in progress.  If you are lucky and select the right commit,
then it is a production ready version.  It helps to rely on companies working
daily with the system doing regular tests if you want to do serious business
with RTEMS.

> We use rtems source builder which works fine. However, we still do not
> understand why is there such a dependency toolchain – rtems kernel?

There is an interaction between Newlib (the C library) and RTEMS.  Some parts
are defined in Newlib header files and implemented in RTEMS source files.

> Why can’t the standard gcc be used to compile the rtems bsp in an archive and
> linked to the application afterwards?

The problem is not GCC.  GCC and Newlib are built together.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09