libbsd.txt "test runner" realview_pbx_a9_qemu

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Jun 3 04:18:53 UTC 2015

On 3/06/2015 1:34 pm, Gene Smith wrote:
> On 06/02/2015 09:55 PM, Chris Johns wrote:
>> On 3/06/2015 5:35 am, Gene Smith wrote:
>>> Have been attempting to follow the instructions in libbsd.txt and it
>>> mentions a "test runner" but doesn't say what that means.
>>
>> I am not sure as well. It might mean the supporting scripts or the
>> rtems-tester.
>
> The libbsd.txt recommends you run some tests but doesn't say exactly how.

The GSoC Monkey project is also interested in this so I will figure it
out and post what I find. I suspect with some configuration changes the
rtems-test command in the rtems-tools repo could run the executables.
The RSB builds and installs the rtems-tools package.

>>> Based on the
>>> contents of config.inc, it appears to be the bsp name,
>>> realview_pbx_a9_qemu, but make install of libbsd does not seem to
>>> produce a file with that name.
>>>
>>> I also assume I may also need qemu installed but not sure.
>>>
>>> Under realview-pbx-a9 bsp there are instructions for building qemu from
>>> a particular git snapshot:
>>>
>>> git checkout a1bff71c56f2d1048244c829b63797940dd4ba0e
>>>

>> I had a quick look in the latest version of the file and I could find
>> this.
>
> Not sure what you mean that you found. An executable file called
> "realview_pbx_a9_qemu"? Qemu snapshot in git for the above sha1?

Sorry I thought there was some reference to the git sha1 in libbsd.txt
and that is what I could not find.

>>> However, for me the qemu build fails with this snapshot. But if I build
>>> from
>>>
>>> git checkout master
>>>
>>> qemu builds OK.
>>>
>>> Any help or pointers on this would be appreciated.
>>>

>> I am not sure the qemu version in the libbsd.txt but I just tried
>> 42d58e7c6760cb9c55627c28ae538e27dcf2f144 for the RSB and it built. The
>> previous version was failing with a core dump in the install phase when
>> generating language files.
>>
>> I will push the RSB change soon.
>
> I see that the sha1 you reference above is now HEAD in qemu git. Does
> RSB build qemu? I have seen indications that it can since there is a
> qemu.cfg file. But I don't see documentation as to how RSB makes qemu.

Yes it is the latest and I have pushed the change to the RSB. To use the
RSB to build qemu do ...

 $ cd bare
 $ ../source-builder/sb-set-builder --prefix=/opt/rtems/qemu devel/qemu

... setting the prefix to something suitable for your development host
machine.

This builds cleanly on FreeBSD 10.1. I have not run it yet.

Chris