About python on RTEMS

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Fri May 8 15:36:41 UTC 2015

On 5/8/2015 10:10 AM, Albert Huang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Although Python is not for real-time computing, but it's good for rapid
> prototyping. I couldn't find much information about python on RTEMS, and
> it's kind of very old if there is some. Does anybody try to compile
> Python on RTEMS to run the interpreter as a task? Will it be hard to do
> that? Thanks.
Chris Johns is the right person to answer this. He has experience in
fielded applications
using Python. He should be able to guide you. He was traveling yesterday
so may be
delayed in answering. Not sure how his internet access will be while he
is traveling.

His Python work predates the existence of the RTEMS Source Builder. Now,
we would
define a recipe for building Python in the RSB instead of having an
increasingly out of
date howto.

Ideally, the RSB would get a Python package added. Adding packages to
the RSB is
an on-going effort. Tcl and Lua are in a similar situation now.