About python on RTEMS

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sun May 10 23:45:05 UTC 2015

On 9/05/2015 1:10 am, Albert Huang wrote:

> Although Python is not for real-time computing, but it's good for rapid
> prototyping. I couldn't find much information about python on RTEMS, and
> it's kind of very old if there is some.

I have used Python on RTEMS to interface to things like POP mailboxes or
to send SMTP email. I did not implement any real-time code. It worked
really well and was stable.

> Does anybody try to compile
> Python on RTEMS to run the interpreter as a task? Will it be hard to do
> that? Thanks.

Last time I looked Python's configure phase ran code on the host and it
did not support cross-compiling cleanly. I implemented a separate build
script and placed that in a directory called 'rtems' in the Python source.

It is not overly difficult to port if you have done this sort of porting
before.

Chris