Embedded board with good support out of the box?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu May 28 23:00:54 UTC 2015

On 5/28/2015 5:41 PM, Steve B wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 4:49 AM, Ben Gras <beng at shrike-systems.com <mailto:beng at shrike-systems.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Steve B <sbattazzo at gmail.com <mailto:sbattazzo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > I need CAN bus, a couple of UARTs (one of which may need interrupts), some
>     > sort of ADC (whether it is the built in one or external), file logging, and
>     > some GPIO. No need for Ethernet unless it really proves useful in uploading
>     > software remotely or spitting out diagnostic data faster than a UART can
>     > handle.
>     >
>     > BBB seems to only have polled console and I2C in the bsp currently.
>
>     Not to nitpick, but non-polled console on the BBB works. The
>     peripheral support is otherwise thin yes.
>

> Thanks Ben, I did not know that! Do multiple UARTs work, or only the "main" one?
> I can actually start implementing parts of my application right away if there is more than one UART.
> If not, I can help add them!

Ketul seems to have the GPIO mostly working so that may show up
soon. It needs feedback to the application level API right
and proper division between application and BSP.

Ultimately, I want the application level API to support
multiple sets of GPIO. Think a system with multiple
add-in boards (e.g. PCI, VME, etc). I had this on an
embedded PC with some on the baseboard and then a
multi IO addon board.

So watch for BB GPIO from Ketul and help push it to
production capable. :)