Embedded board with good support out of the box?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Fri May 29 00:24:28 UTC 2015

On May 28, 2015 6:36:51 PM CDT, Steve B <sbattazzo at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Joel Sherrill
><joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
>

>Ketul seems to have the GPIO mostly working so that may show up
>soon. It needs feedback to the application level API right
>and proper division between application and BSP.
>
>Ultimately, I want the application level API to support
>multiple sets of GPIO. Think a system with multiple
>add-in boards (e.g. PCI, VME, etc). I had this on an
>embedded PC with some on the baseboard and then a
>multi IO addon board.
>
>So watch for BB GPIO from Ketul and help push it to
>production capable. :)
>

>Steve
>

>--
>Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research & Development
>joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com        On-Line Applications Research
>Ask me about RTEMS: a free RTOS  Huntsville AL 35805
>Support Available                (256) 722-9985
>

>Thanks Joel! I saw that Ketul has some GPIO related patch up on github
>so I will patch that in and give it a try in the next couple days.
>
>If a way of linking GPIO to an interrupt is there/planned that would be
>really awesome. If not, I'll be happy to chip in!

Defining requirements for this is important. That's where my old work (see below) got stuck. I needed user feedback to have faith in what I was proposing as more than "it works in my application" :)

>I like that thinking on API. Anything we can do so that the end
>application code contains as little board-dependent code as possible...

The multi IO git repo on rtems.org has a proof of concept I did a few years ago with a cut at an api, shell commands and the layered structure I mentioned. It also supports analog IO.

All of this just needs love, feedback, and real users. :)

>Steve

--joel