Embedded board with good support out of the box?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri May 29 01:04:27 UTC 2015

On 29/05/2015 10:24 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> The multi IO git repo on rtems.org has a proof of concept I did a few years ago with a cut at an api, shell commands and the layered structure I mentioned. It also supports analog IO.
>
> All of this just needs love, feedback, and real users. :)

I commented here ....

https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2015-April/011186.html

.... on the Beagle BSP GPIO driver and my comments also related the
multio repo for digital IO.

The multio API needs work to be general and suitable for all BSPs. Until
then it is difficult to know how to interface IO with pin specifics for
a device specific characteristic. ADC and DAC have a number of
complexities such as clock control, test pattern generation, gain,
inverting etc that need to be addressed. For high speed ADC converters I
have been using a text field driven API where the API is stable and the
fields present can vary because the of the variations in the devices and
front ends. Before doing this the API was growing and growing in weird
and interesting ways and started to be come unmanageable.

Also some of the functions such as rtems_dac_get_maximum_voltage concern
me. Some users may need direct output to the DAC values and do not need
floats. I feel the API should not over reach and be limited to the DAC
value in bits.

Chris