Windows and QEMU

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sat May 30 02:31:01 UTC 2015

On 30/05/2015 1:22 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Wu, Mark H. <Mark.H.Wu at disney.com> wrote:
>> I downloaded QEMU from <http://qemu.weilnetz.de/>. It was the lasted version (2.3.0). What version is compatible with 4.11? Do I need to build it myself for RTEMS compatibility? Almost all of the links in <https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/TBR/UserManual/MinGW_Tools_for_Windows> send you to a "Page Not Found" error... and I can't locate the corresponding files in the git repository.
>>
> We relocated some services and the FTP links are broken. I fixed
> those, they should be ftp.rtems.org/pub instead of
> www.rtems.org/ftp/pub.
>
> RSB has support for building Qemu that may be informative [1, 2]. It
> checks out a specific commit from the qemu git. I know this isn't a
> terribly user-friendly answer, but it might be enough to get started.
>
> RTEMS current support for building and running tools on Windows is not
> great.

This is changing. I can build tools using the RSB on Windows using MSYS2
(https://msys2.github.io/). I also believe cygwin64 is building the
tools but I have not tried.

A quick check of the MSYS2 packages shows qemu is included:

$ pacman -Ss qemu
mingw32/mingw-w64-i686-qemu 2.1.2-1
    A generic and open source processor emulator (mingw-w64)
mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-qemu 2.1.2-1
    A generic and open source processor emulator (mingw-w64)

I just installed mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-qemu and it contains a i686,
X86_64 and arm versions of qemu. I have not tried them.

> You might get further using a VM than you do using MinGW, but
> others may have advice on MinGW. Usually some time after a release
> happens, those tools tend to become more stable. I believe we intend
> for Windows support to improve in the future especially as we get away
> from certain GNU tools in the RTEMS build dependencies.

MSYS2 is worth a look now.

Chris