Accessing physical memory on ARM

Adit Sahasrabudhe asahasra at fb.com
Wed Nov 11 16:46:34 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We’re using RTEMS on an ARM Cortex A9 (Altera SoC), and we need to be able to access some physical memory locations in the SDRAM. The BSP has the MMU enabled by default and rather than messing around with trying to disable it, I was hoping there was another way to access physical memory locations. It looks like mmap() capability is supported by this BSP, but I believe that requires the /dev/mem I/O device to be present. We are using the IMFS, which does not have that I/O device mapped.

Any thoughts on this? I’m sure (at least I hope) someone has tried to do this before.

Thanks,
Adit