Accessing physical memory on ARM

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Nov 12 06:26:47 UTC 2015

On 11/11/15 23:32, Adit Sahasrabudhe wrote:
> It turns out it’s a cache issue. Our application has the FPGA on the
> SoC writing data to the SDRAM. We ran another test where we made sure
> the test buffer would create a cache miss and sure enough, the data is
> read just fine.
>
> So one last question then, since this data is only written by the
> FPGA, it seems like I have two options:
>
>  1. Create a new section in my linker script and configure the MMU for
>     that section to not use cache (using startup/mmu_config.c in the BSP)

You can use rtems_cache_coherent_allocate() or place global data into
non-cacheable memory via the BSP_NOCACHE_SECTION and
BSP_NOCACHENOLOAD_SECTION attributes (#include <bsp/linker-symbols.h>).

>  1. Or, I can invalidate the cache whenever we want to read this
>     buffer (not too often). Is there an API available to do cache
>     invalidations? We tried the inline routines in arm-cp15.h, but it
>     causes a fatal exception.

Use the rtems_cache_*() routines for this.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09