large bss size for sample applications

Jeff Webb jeff.webb at nta-inc.net
Mon Sep 28 13:42:04 UTC 2015

On 09/26/2015 01:36 AM, Chris Johns wrote:

>>> Simple examples for out-of-tree builds exist in the examples-v2.git
>>> repository with the "RTEMS Application Makefile" approach using custom
>>> Makefiles, and with the "RTEMS Application Waf" approach using
>>> wscripts and a git-submodule for waf support. The former is an older,
>>> established way to build applications linking to an 'installed' RTEMS,
>>> and the latter is a newer way to do it.
>>
>> Perfect!  This is just what I need.  Thanks for the pointer.
>>

> The Makefile approach will not be supported with the waf build of RTEMS
> when it lands.

Thanks for the heads up.  Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what "the waf build of RTEMS" means.  Does this mean that the next release of RTEMS can only be built using waf (and thus user applications must use it, too), or does it mean that in the next release, if RTEMS is built using waf, applications will also have to be built using waf?  I'm not too concerned with how the RTEMS core libraries are built, but I am interested in knowing the constraints placed on the application developer.  What I really want to know is will there be a way for users to build their applications using make, or is waf the only option going forward?

Thanks,

-Jeff