Advice on redistribution of a SW licensed under GPL v2+

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Sep 30 15:38:05 UTC 2015

SAeeD,

You're right this is off-topic and you may try to look for a better
answer by asking on a forum like stackexchange. The basic idea for
re-distributing GPL code though is you just copy the original code
as-is (save a copy of it), and then you can release modified versions
under gpl2 without a problem. If anyone asks, you have to provide the
license, original code and your modifications if you distribute a
binary. On GitHub you can just "Fork" the project and pile your
commits on to your fork. I would not add anyone else's copyright, but
you may add your own if you make substantial changes. You should also
consider how you can merge your work with the upstream Slingshot.

Gedare