GSoC2016 organisation collaboration? RTEMS on FPGA hardware running MiSoC

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Thu Mar 10 05:02:07 UTC 2016

On 10 March 2016 at 02:34, Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:55 PM, Tim Ansell <mithro at mithis.com> wrote:
>
>>   * It looks like RTEMS already has support for both the lm32 and or1k
>>>>

>> The reasons for us currently choose the lm32 soft-cpu over the or1k
>> soft-cpu where;
>>  * lm32 doesn't require patching gcc
>>  * lm32 is slightly smaller in resource requirements than the or1k
>>  * lm32 is the default option in MiSoC :)
>>
>> The big risk for us if we went with the or1k is that the student has to
>> initially get our old firmware running on that architecture before other
>> work can proceed. In theory this should be pretty trivial but I can see it
>> consuming more time then we expect.
>>

> The or1k gcc situation is (politely) less than ideal.

Sadly yes :(

It does look like the situation for or1k LLVM / Clang is in a better state?
Can RTEMS be compiled with clang?

Interested enough to help with mentoring such a project? :P

> I don't know that we have anyone active who qualifies as am lm32 expert.
> It was
> ported by Jukka Pietarinen about eight years ago. Michael Walle and Yann
> Sionneau
> have done lm32 specific fixes to it since them. Most RTEMS core developers
> have
> touched the lm32 port as part of regular maintenance though.

Yann Sionneau hangs out on the #m-labs channel that I also frequent (and
the channel for developers of the MiSoC system which we use) -- I've also
added him on the CC here.

> It looks like the lm32_evr BSP is supposed to run on the simulator in gdb.
> The
> rtems-testing git repository has a script to help use that in
> sim-scripts.  Because
> it is a gdb simulator, I added support for the new automated testing
> framework
> in rtems-tools git repo.  But I don't remember any test results off hand.
> So baselining
> the current situation would be useful as a starting point.

I'm unsure what you mean here? Are you suggesting running the tests and
seeing if they pass (and fixing ones that don't)?

> For general RTEMS advice/mentoring, there are multiple people technically
> capable of helping. But for lm32 specific knowledge, we would need to
> try to contact the original authors or learn.
>
> Is there (or will there be) a simulator for your board? Am I right in
> understanding
> that the FPGA image will be available for use by anyone interested?

We don't really have any simulator set up at the moment. It is something we
need to investigate further. We have an open issue at (
https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware/issues/86) to look
into using QEMU's lm32 support for simulation. Florent (from enjoy-digital)
also suggested we might be able to use verilator for that.

The firmware running on the FPGA is fully open source (and available at
https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware). We have prebuilt
versions available at
https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB-firmware-prebuilt but is probably
only useful for people with hardware.

I always try to find a way to get people doing development hardware they
need to make progress.

How is debugging done? If JTAG, what HW assist?

Test simulation of the hardware is one way and testing directly on the
hardware is another.

JTAG and printf on the UART :)

> Does RTEMS run on this now? Just trying to see what all is involved. Not
> being
> negative.

That is part of the question I'm trying to figure out :-). I don't really
know much about RTEMS.

> I can't volunteer for the community but I am likely willing to help.
>
> --joel

Tim 'mithro' Ansell